Tuscaloosa Home

Monday, February 28, 2011

Chemo #5

Chemo # 5 sounds a lot like a perfume, but it certainly is not if anything it stinks. In October we found out my sister Jackie had Stage 3C Ovarian Cancer. Jackie has always been diligent on her annual checkups but as we learned this ovarian cancer grows fast. Jackie has been more like a twin to me than a little sister; she and I have been very close. Although I was only three when she was born I remember holding her and promising to help care for my baby sister forever. Jackie lives in Utah and I live in California. This week I am here to help out and maybe give her hero husband a break. Jackie after her surgery has six rounds of chemo. I am here for her fifth round - so “Chemo # 5” it is…
I am trying to figure out how to enlarge the photos, still learning but Jackie’s cute hat is a pink piggy that her friend Amy made for her. The other chemo patients who filled the room enjoyed the sight of the two of us each with laptops working away,her chemo takes over 3 hours.
Jackie's positve attitude is an inspiration to all, she has been amazing. Although I have been the big sister and the gold standard (in Jackie’s eyes) to live up too, the winds have changes and Jackie takes the lead as older more mature sister. I admire the patience and strength she has perfected during this time. Most of the time we keep to the sunnyside of converstion when it comes to the "C" subject but this time I will say it(raised voice calling) Cancer is no fun!
So next time you are shopping if you chance to see a perfume named “Chemo#5 “ don’t buy it, remember it sticks!!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful big sister you are! I hope this story has a happy ending. Faith and prayers go a long way. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two look so pretty. I'm so glad you have each other, sisters make the world go round (biological or not)

    ReplyDelete