Tuscaloosa Home

Thursday, February 17, 2011

I hum just because I can!

Some long years ago when I was around sixteen years of age, I remember sitting with my Memaw (southern for grandmother) in the living room of her home in East Tennessee. A gaggle of her friends, older southern woman joined us. They talked and lightly sipped Memaw's famous iced tea on a steamy summer afternoon. I enjoyed myself but was sure to hold my hands gently in my lap recollecting mannered lessons taught me as a child.
Each woman shared with me tidbits of their knowledge earned from experience and I felt their wisdom. That was until a few began discussing how they had never driven a car and would never drive - ever! I tried hard to conceal my surprise and coughed away a chortle. "Ah-hum, How do you get around" I queried? They went on to say (think southern accent here) "Why our husbands always drive us." and even if their husbands died they wouldn't learn to drive, they just did not feel the need to do so at "their age".
Being a new driver myself I was completely amazed that they would miss the opportunity to drive and the freedom it gives. (I should have started writing my screen play that very day, called "Driving Miss Memaw")... Anyway,
I never wanted to be "that old" I vowed that day I would always try to do something new no matter how old I got. I might have re thunk that idea so long ago, if I knew a techy, twittery, blogging computer world awaited... but with that I boldly say - Start your engines Ladies! I hum just because I can!

5 comments:

  1. This is so darn cute!! I think that deep down every girl wants to have lived a southern childhood and this is why. How sweet! Hum Cindy hum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog world! I love reading the post ... hope your asthma is doing better today! I also have a blog at www.thompsoncircus.blogspot.com I am publishing them into yearbooks for the grandparents. I just read my first year's family journal and I am so glad a started! See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun Cindy!! I love your writing style... you are so cute and NOT old at all!!! Age is a state of mind, and you are in the right state!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute stuff! - Really - when are you coming out my way? It is time to refresh our fun times! That would be doing something new! I am impressed though! Hugs -

    ReplyDelete