Tuscaloosa Home

Friday, April 29, 2011

Grandparents Home in Tuscaloosa Alabama

Yesterday the tornado in Alabama came very close to my grandparent’s home. My grandparents had a hardware store in downtown Tuscaloosa for many years and lived there for as long as I can remember. In Tuscaloosa my father grew up as well as his sister my Aunt Nancy. Nancy tells me I have many family members in the area but I only remember Aunt Grace and Uncle Carl. I have many wonderful memories of Tuscaloosa and my grandparent’s home; it had great charm and gave comfort to me. I was watching the news today and I saw a video of the huge tornado and recognized the building from where the shot was being taken. I guessed it to be about two blocks (at the most) from my grandparent’s home. Not long after that my sister Leigh called to let me know she also saw the eerie footage of the twister too and knew it proximity to our grandparent’s home, confirming my remembrances. I searched the internet and attempted to locate the storm’s rage. I could not tell if it struck the old homestead but do know it took out countless homes and businesses only a few streets down. The supporting community of their home was destroyed or damaged in the tornado. I hope their home is still there, even 20 years after the death of my grandparents I do not wish it to be gone. Just a short while ago Jackie, Leigh and I made a three way call and together Google mapped ourselves down the Alabama street of Burl and Emily Quinn’s home (our grandparent’s, 148 The Highlands, Tuscaloosa Alabama). I can’t imagine the loss so many feel at this time in those areas. My heart goes out to them all, my prayers too.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet! I love these kinds of memories. My Grandma Taufer passed away about 15 years ago but I still have such fond childhood memories of her San Francisco house on Moscow Street. I hope for you and your sisters that your Tuscaloosa house is still right there where it belongs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I can't imagine how devastating it would be to lose your home, especially ones that are filled with such fond memories.

    ReplyDelete