Tuscaloosa Home

Monday, March 14, 2011

Love Prevails

AP News Sunday Mar 13, 2011-
Etsuko Koyama escaped the water rushing through the third floor of her home but lost her grip on her daughter's hand and has not found her."I haven't given up hope yet," Koyama told public broadcaster NHK, wiping tears from her eyes. "I saved myself, but I couldn't save my daughter."

It is stories like this that seem to stop my heart; I ache for the people of Japan. As I think of what it must feel like to survive such devastation I remember something I experienced in Arizona some years ago. In the fall of 1992 I realized it was time to separate from my (then) husband. I moved from our home in California to Tucson Arizona. There I lived with my sister Leigh and her family until I could determine my next move in the marriage. It was a difficult adjustment and time in my life. A gloomy shadow over the situation was the change this had for my two young children Michael (7) and Savanna (3). I just never wanted for them the mess that was created by their parents; they were so innocent and only gave happiness. Such delight I never knew until they came into my life. My devotion to their well being was strengthened by the fact that I was their lone parent in Az. and I deepened my commitment for them. A month after our arrival in Tucson a severe storm was advised for our area with possible flash flooding Saturday and Sunday. When I returned from work that Friday my sister Leigh suggested we go get groceries for the imminent rainy weekend. I agreed to the idea but we went separately for reasons I don’t remember now. I kissed my son goodbye and left him with his good buddy and Cousin Scott (7) and Cousin Steven (13) who was to babysit the two until our return. I put Savanna in her car seat and drove off in a light rain. I shopped, filled the car, (with groceries) car seat (with Savvy) and headed back just before the sun set. The rain was heavier now and splattered off the windshield as I drove home. Traffic slowed and I came to a stop in the road; must be an accident ahead due to the rain, I thought. Cars in front of me were turning back as I slowly approached the four way intersection. In the long wait the sky grew black and the rain thick. Searching the dark I couldn’t see any accident, just a few police and patrol cars parked alongside the road. A policeman was directing traffic waving us back or sideways but not through to the street or direction I needed to go, the only street to Leigh’s house, to my Michael. I rolled down my window in order to suggest that the police let me through to the street… to my son, alone with no adult home. He said the road was closed due to flash flooding. I envisioned the stream at the back of Leigh’s yard swelling and flooding. I pleaded my case to the officer, but he refused my desperate proposal. I could not accept my situation and began to plan my escape through the flooded street. I decided when my turn came at the front of the line of cars I would not turn left or right, but I would rush forward and drive home. The road did not seem so flooded to me and I was certain I could get away before I would be stopped; I had to save my son. I pressed the gas pedal a few times and revved the engine and my heart. I waited my turn as the police directed traffic left and right of me. He waved me to the right, I swallowed hard, white knuckled the steering wheel and followed his directions turning right. Just as I was ready to race forward and speed past the officer, I took a brief glance in my rear view mirror and saw my sleeping daughter in her car seat. I realized then my plan had a flaw. If the situation became dangerous I would not only have to rescue myself from possible harm but my daughter as well. I could take that risk for me but not for her. I followed the traffic cop’s instructions and in a daze drove away from the only road to my son. After only a few blocks I caught sight of my sister’s car and we waved each other down. We spoke in the street and I followed her to a local hotel, the street would not reopen that night not until the next day would we know more. There were many Tucsonians displaced that rainy night and we were lucky to find a room. A phone call to the house from the hotel (before everyone had cell phones) suggested a safer situation that I had perceived. My brother in law had made it home to be with the boys, he left work early to avoid any traffic congestion. The stream behind their home was full but it was the “wash” that had filled and exploded into the streets. I was learning quickly the fierce power of a desert flash flood. I sat up most of the night listening to the sound of the pounding rain. My heart did not reach a clam point until Sunday. We then drove to a meeting place where we could be carried over a broken road in giant green Army trucks, not the road I hoped to cross before but a safer spot that was not rushing with water. I was reunited with my son and he showed no sign of fear in fact I think he had a fun weekend with the boys watching TV and playing video games.
After the roads were drying up I drove around and checked out the damage. I came across a road that looked very similar to the road shown in the picture above, only the gap was much wider. I knew that I would have risked it all that night and would have met the danger I now saw in the road. I was glad I had someone to support me that night a little sleeping daughter who probably saved me from more misery and true danger. Her presence has often inspired me, encouraged me and helped me do the right thing and on this occasion she made the difference I needed to be safe and there for my children.
Although this is nothing like what Japan and the people there are experiencing I can hope they will have someone as I did that will do for them what was done for me. Thank you Savvy Girl and Happy Birthday too. Love you forever and to the moon.

4 comments:

  1. O mama, I just love you! Thank you for this post! Will you send me the picture you posted? I love it & love that you have fond memories of me sitting at that desk doing homework. I miss having a desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so thought you might not like the picture as much as I do, will send it right away... maybe you can squeeze that tiny desk somewhere at your place, we still have it if you want it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet post Cindy. I can feel the love that you had for your babies then and can still feel it now. We are all lucky to have sweet Savanna in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh your the best Brit, love you my newest child :)

    ReplyDelete